Society and Culture
PORT YARDS · RECEPTION AND DOCUMENTATION CENTRE · EVENTS · VISITS
THE PORT YARDS
THE MULTIFUNCTIONAL CENTRE OF THE PORT OF HUELVA
This multifunctional centre was inaugurated by the Port Authority of Huelva in October 2011 after rehabilitating an old port warehouse built in 1912. The building, belonging to an industrial architecture of the beginning of the last century, has a space of 730 square metres, equipped with movable bleachers with 256 seats. This space is also adapted for people with hearing difficulties.
In this way, the Port is fulfilling its commitment to continue to get closer to the city and to participate in the active life of the city through the organisation of cultural and social events.
The adaptation of Las Cocheras is the result of the agreement signed by the Ministry of Culture of the Andalusian Regional Government and the Port Authority.
It has included the provision of bleachers, a reinforcement of the foundations, soundproofing of the ceiling, the removal of some of the central columns and the installation of air conditioning, lighting and sound equipment. The budget for the works has exceeded 3.3 million euros, of which the Regional Ministry of Culture has contributed 450,000 euros and the rest has been provided by the Port Authority.
The old Warehouse is the second of the buildings that the APH has in the Zafra Municipal Park, two warehouses of great heritage interest designed in 1909 by the then director of the Port of Huelva, Francisco Montenegro, and built in 1911 and 1912, which were used as a locomotive depot and warehouse for the Port of Huelva.
The Port of Huelva’s Port Yards constitute an innovative and modern cultural space for the enjoyment of the city and the province.
RECEPTION AND DOCUMENTATION CENTRE
INFORMATION AND TIMETABLES
The Reception and Documentation Centre was located in the old locomotive shed, whose construction project was signed by Francisco Montenegro in March 1909 and approved by Royal Order on 9 July 1910. Of all the proposals presented, that of Thomas Morrison and Co. Ld. of Huelva was accepted, for a sum of 86,470 pesetas of the time, and the definitive acceptance took place in February 1913. The building measured 36 metres long and 24 metres wide. Along the length of the depot there were rails that allowed the locomotives to be moved to their storage point. To place them there was a shuttle wagon that received them and transported them all along the central track.
The refurbishment of the building, inspired by the Port’s industrial activity, was inaugurated in July 2003. The structure and the façade, of great architectural value, were respected, and the necessary repairs were carried out, defining three large areas in the new occupation: a large open space, which is established as an exhibition area; a central location, with an assembly hall, with a capacity of 76 seats and equipped with its corresponding audiovisual systems; and an interior structure, on two floors, which makes up the Archive and Library sector.
PLACES OF SOCIAL INTEREST
From the Port of Huelva we are determined to break down the physical and psychological barriers that have traditionally separated it from society. We believe that citizens must identify with their port as an economic and development engine.
The Strategic Plan of the Port of Huelva 2012-2017, with a vision to 2022, sets out as one of its objectives: “To achieve a recognised, valued and positioned image of the Port of Huelva in the surrounding area”. To achieve this, one of its initiatives is: “To open up, bring closer and integrate the Port with the city through the offer of guided tours which will allow visitors to get to know the Port, its history, its activity, its social, economic and environmental contribution”.
The Port of Huelva wants the citizens to know that the Port is theirs and to feel that it is theirs, and for this reason it is pleased to make available to the citizens the following programme of visits to the port area:
MONUMENT TO COLUMBUS OR TO THE DISCOVERING FAITH
The Columbus Monument or Monument to the Discovering Faith, with its 37 metres in height, is one of the most representative symbols of the city of Huelva.
The “Punta del Sebo” was the place chosen by the sculptor and designer Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney to erect this great colossus, a donation from the Columbus Memorial Fund Inc.
Opening hours: Every Saturday from 10:00 h. to 13:00 h.
MAZAGON AND EL ROMPIDO LIGHTHOUSES
The Port of Huelva is one of the agents in charge of coastal lighting and maritime signals aimed at providing navigational aids along the coast of Huelva. Thus, the existing lighthouses in Huelva respond to the needs established in the Maritime Signals Plan of 1847.
In this sense, the Port of Huelva does not forget its responsibility with respect to the legacy that the lighthouses represent as unique buildings linked to the historical memory of our coasts and whose sparkles have served as a guide to so many men of the sea.
- Mazagón lighthouse: 10 September, 15 October, 12 November and 17 December.
- El Rompido lighthouse: 19 September, 8 October, 19 November and 10 December.
- Opening hours: 10:00h 14:00h.
Tickets must be booked in advance for the visit to take place.
Information and reservations
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Telephone: 959 262 708
Reception and Documentation Centre
Permanent exhibition on the Port of Huelva
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 h to 14:30 h. Closed in August